Monday, September 14

don't pray for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs.

A question that has been on my mind lately is, 'Why do we ask God for things? Why do we ask him to keep us safe? Why do we ask him for healing? Why do we ask him to please, please, please let the Seahawks win?'

Why do we ask for these things when God has a plan? I'm sure that back in the 1700's He knew that in 2006 my grandmother was going to die of bladder cancer. I'm sure that He knew the Seahawks were going to win yesterday. I'm sure He knew that my sister-in-law would arrive safely from the Domincan Republic. He knows all these things because he is the Creator. So why do we ask? It seems like such a outlandish thing to do.

I don't have the answer as to why we do these things, but in light of these reflections, I have entirely altered the way I pray. Lately I have made it a point to express my gratitude and thankfulness for all that I have, all that I am, and all that I get to experience. The superior and the dreadful. So instead of praying that my husband and I don't obtain Swine Flu, I express to God how thankful I am for all our years of perfect health. Instead of asking to end world hunger, I pray and tell Him how thankful I am that people have the resources to help.

Since then, I have been much more fulfilled with prayer. It makes more sense, doesn't it? Anyone have any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I like this. I think it has this great thing of, prayer being a space for your thoughts and your stance before God to change you - effectively both a space for you to change yourself and your state of mind, and what we might call space where God changes you.

    Question: what about when there's a gap in the logic? E.g. thanks, God, that people've got the resources to help. ... ... ...but actually then there's still world hunger out there...??

    ReplyDelete